I have been in full time ministry for over 28 years and would not take anything for that time. It has not always been easy or pleasant. Dealing with people and their lostness isn’t a walk on the beach. We must be willing to enter the soiled lives of those hurting in order to offer the righteousness of Christ to them. However, over the years I have come to realize there are things Leaders wished their flocks clearly understood. Here is a short list of 18 things Pastors would love to tell their congregations. They are in no particular order.
1. We struggle with temptation…just like you.
2. We don’t always feel like praying…just like you.
3. We get physically and spiritually fatigued…just like you.
4. We need some space…just like you.
5. We do not have all the answers…just like you.
6. We need uninterrupted time with our family…just like you.
7. We cannot be everything to everyone…just like you.
8. We do not like unannounced drop by visits…just like you.
9. We do not mature as fast as we like…just like you.
10. We need grace when we blow it…just like you.
11. We think Jesus is the real example…just like you.
12. We have valleys of loneliness and depression…just like you.
13. Our wife and children see our weaknesses and sin…just like you.
14. We want to finish in faithfulness…just like you.
15. We wrestle with unforgiveness…just like you.
16. We feel our messages are hitting us between the eyes…just like you.
17. We feel like quitting and running off at times…just like you.
18. We will not turn our back on Christ…just like you.
If you are a leader, please feel free to add…
All in all, we are you! We are men who have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. We are continually needy, desperate and aware of our shortcomings, failures and sins.
We are not everything we want to be, but we are not what we used to be, or what we are going to be.
In short…we are just like you!
Therefore, let us pray for one another as we all press on toward Christ!